The study of more than 13,000 children found that pregnant women using mobiles just two or three times a day was enough to raise the risk of their babies developing hyperactivity and difficulties with conduct, emotions and relationships by the time they reached school age. Specifically, mothers who used mobile phones were 54 per cent more likely to have children with behavioral problems.
The likelihood is even greater if the children themselves used the phone before the age of seven. When children use a mobile phone themselves, they were 80 per cent more likely to suffer from difficulties with behaviour. They were also 25 per cent more at risk from emotional problems, 34 per cent more likely to suffer from difficulties relating to their peers, 35 per cent more likely to be hyperactive, and 49 per cent more prone to problems with conduct.
The results of the study took the top scientists who conducted it by surprise. The research will carry particular weight because one of its authors, UCLA’s Professor Leeka Kheifets, had previously been skeptical that mobile phones could pose a risk to health.
Last 15 posts in Pregnancy
- Weight Gain During Pregnancy - June 29th, 2008
- Importance of pre-pregnancy weight - February 6th, 2008
- Ditziness, sobbing, lack of spatial awareness - yes, pregnant women's brains DO shrink - January 27th, 2008
- Statistically Insignificant Study Shows Caffeine/Miscarriage Correlation - January 22nd, 2008
- At-Home Fertility Test - January 22nd, 2008
- Baby Naming Help - January 10th, 2008
- The pre-baby blues - December 4th, 2007
- Losing weight after pregnancy - diet and exercise better than diet alone - November 26th, 2007
- Plan today for pregnancy tomorrow - November 23rd, 2007
- Older moms not the norm - November 23rd, 2007
- Eat right during pregnancy for a better baby - November 18th, 2007
- Your Stress May Affect Your Unborn Child - November 18th, 2007
- Waiting two minutes to cut cord 'can give babies health boost' - November 16th, 2007
- When the mother's and baby's blood differs - November 16th, 2007
- Drug used to stop labor may cause harm - November 5th, 2007