How much weight you put on will depend primarily on your height and how much you weigh before you get pregnant. If you weigh the average for your height then you should gain between 25 – 35 lbs. During your first trimester you can gain 2 – 5 lbs and there after about 1lb a week for the rest of your pregnancy.
If you have struggled with your weight in the past, or you are someone who never had to diet, you may find it difficult to accept that it is ok that you gain weight now. Women will feel anxious and some even slightly depressed when they see the scales going up. Keep in mind that this weight is important and that those extra lbs will come off after you have had your baby. The important thing to remember when you are pregnant is to eat well (not to eat for two!!).
In a nutshell, what you eat will affect how you feel about yourself and how you feel in general. You will only really notice this if you make a conscious effort to understand it and change your diet. In the process of doing so, you will probably drop a few lbs.
Eating healthily while you are pregnant is important for the development of your new baby. The extra weight will go fairly quickly after the birth. The majority of the weight comes from the amniotic fluid, placenta, and extra body fluid and blood. This will account for anything from 8 to 12 + lbs of weight. The baby itself will account for anything from 6 lbs to 8 lbs +. Your uterus and your breasts will also have gotten bigger and this can add up to 6lbs. The thing to remember is, it took nine months to put the weight on and you should allow yourself this amount of time to take it off again.
Last 15 posts in Pregnancy
- Using mobile phone during pregnancy? Beware! - June 8th, 2008
- Importance of pre-pregnancy weight - February 6th, 2008
- Ditziness, sobbing, lack of spatial awareness - yes, pregnant women's brains DO shrink - January 27th, 2008
- Statistically Insignificant Study Shows Caffeine/Miscarriage Correlation - January 22nd, 2008
- At-Home Fertility Test - January 22nd, 2008
- Baby Naming Help - January 10th, 2008
- The pre-baby blues - December 4th, 2007
- Losing weight after pregnancy - diet and exercise better than diet alone - November 26th, 2007
- Plan today for pregnancy tomorrow - November 23rd, 2007
- Older moms not the norm - November 23rd, 2007
- Eat right during pregnancy for a better baby - November 18th, 2007
- Your Stress May Affect Your Unborn Child - November 18th, 2007
- Waiting two minutes to cut cord 'can give babies health boost' - November 16th, 2007
- When the mother's and baby's blood differs - November 16th, 2007
- Drug used to stop labor may cause harm - November 5th, 2007