Buy and read children’s books that focus on colors. Most children should be able to recognize color differences by 18 months. Of course the more you show your toddler colors, the quicker your child will comprehend the differences in hues and identify them as distinct colors
Buy toys that have bright colors. Stick to the true reds, blues and greens, and not the pastel colors. Brightly colored toys will have a greater contrast against the everyday objects in your home and will be easier for your toddler to distinguish.
Talk to your child about colors. There are countless situations in your daily life where color will figure. Say things like, “Are you going to wear red or blue shorts today? Mommy has an orange shirt. I like your yellow ball.” Your toddler will be learning language skills as well as colors.
Point out colors at every opportunity. Show your child a green apple at the supermarket. Let your chld hold a red tomato or a yellow banana, and say the color: yellow banana, red tomato. Slide down the big yellow slide at the park. Your options are only limited by your imagination.
Paint with your child. Color. Glue. Cut. Art is the best way to teach your child about colors and develop imagination and creativity as well. Teach your child to use safety scissors and cut colored paper. Mix food color in glue and make colored designs on white paper, that will dry and keep well for display.
Your child is learning a new skill and will make mistakes, misnaming colors, etc., Don’t reprimand him or her for mistakes. Your child will learn given time.
Last 15 posts in Teaching and Learning
- Think Your Kid's Gifted? You're Probably Wrong - August 29th, 2008
- When America Counts - May 5th, 2008
- Helping Your Older Child With Homework - March 26th, 2008
- Teach Your Child How To Spell - March 2nd, 2008
- Feminism and the English Language - February 26th, 2008
- Locking Our Children Away From the Real World - February 22nd, 2008
- Turn Off TV To Teach Toddlers New Words - January 31st, 2008
- Teach Your Child Using Educational Toys - January 4th, 2008
- The Truth About Music Lessons - December 27th, 2007
- Teach kids to enjoy sharing - December 24th, 2007
- How to Teach a Child Spanish - December 17th, 2007
- Trick them into learning - December 13th, 2007
- Fuzzy Math - Fuzzy Minds - December 8th, 2007
- Learning English Grammar - December 3rd, 2007
- Teaching Math Using Exercise - November 30th, 2007