By Richard Alleyne
The mother aged 59 and father, 72, conceived in India with fertility treatment and returned to England for the birth.
They told horrified medics they did not want the “wrong sex” babies immediately after the Caesarean section in Wolverhampton.
The husband then asked how soon it would be before his wife was fit enough to fly out again for further IVF in the hope of getting a boy to continue the family name.
An NHS insider was reported to have said: “Everyone is utterly appalled. How could any parent do this?
“This is Britain in the 21st century.
“But they just weren’t prepared to raise these two beautiful girls.”
Female babies are often abandoned in India for being the wrong sex – but it is the first time here. It is likely to send shockwaves of revulsion through multi-cultural Britain.
The parents were born in India but are British citizens living in Birmingham.
They had fertility treatment in India as it is illegal here at such an advanced age and the twins were delivered at the New Cross Hospital in Wolverhampton.
They were then transferred to a central NHS hospital in Birmingham. The parents are still believed to be in the city.
The babies have had no visitors since being born less than a fortnight ago.
The mother – one of Britain’s oldest – discharged herself against the advice of doctors who told her she should stay for more than a week after her operation.
Birmingham Social Services department is said to be investigating.
Last 15 posts in Babies
- 4Moms Mamaroo Infant Seat - January 24th, 2013
- Space Saving Easy Handling Stroller - January 23rd, 2013
- A Space Saving/Easy To Handle Stroller - January 19th, 2013
- The disturbing diary of a modern midwife - August 26th, 2008
- Why your baby's head size is measured - June 29th, 2008
- Folate Intake May Help Father Conceive Healthy Children - June 29th, 2008
- Weight Gain During Pregnancy - June 29th, 2008
- High-calorie diet linked to boys - April 24th, 2008
- Older names popular again for newborns - April 20th, 2008
- Let babies learn to think for themselves - March 26th, 2008
- Most Popular Baby Names Of 1950 - March 5th, 2008
- The most popular baby names of the last century - March 5th, 2008
- Make Your Own Baby Wipes - March 2nd, 2008
- Bringing Along Baby Food? Not Too Much, Rules Say - February 21st, 2008
- Scores of babies left to die - February 4th, 2008